Saturday, September 6, 2014

It's Aliiiive

I'm well on my way to piecing back together what I can of the contents of my computer. In fact, I'm typing this on my computer (the real one, not the netbook).

Naturally, when I installed the OS, I went ahead and installed Fedora 20, rather than reinstalling Fedora 19. Windows? Yeah, I have it on a partition somewhere. Heck, I even boot it up a couple of times a year.

Biggest point of pain so far is that I managed to lose a chunk of email from the period between the last backup and the crash. In fact, I was afraid at first that I'd lost it all, but I was able to recover the majority of it, including (I think) all that was sent to my HSaotomeSan gmail address.

Still a ways to go, but - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll probably finish the reconstruction just in time to catch the flight for my business trip at the end of next week.

11 comments:

  1. Finally some good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some good news.
    I'm being quite egoistic, but does that mean we can hope for Greenery Day next chapter before you leave for your business trip?
    Cheers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be nice, wouldn't it? I doubt that I'll be able to squeeze out enough time for it, though.

      Delete
    2. Ah, the agony! ^_^ Well, the longer the waiting, the better the reading ^_^

      Delete
  3. Part of the problem is the farther I get, the more difficult the things which are left. I spent most of today reestablishing the tools I use for working from home.

    Well, to be honest, some of that time was spent trying to track down some of the wallpapers that I lost. I use different wallpapers to mark different desktops, and each one has to be aethetically pleasing (to my tastes).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope to see you back soon ;)

    Btw, is this Fedora a good OS? I mean compared to Ubuntu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I haven't used Ubuntu, I'm not in a position to compare. I like Fedora a bit better than Suse, and vastly more than Windows. I use a mixture of Windows and Solaris at work, and as far as I'm concerned, Windows is only useful for using canned software. It's a pain in the butt whenever you need to do anything for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and KDE for my desktop. I used to like Gnome, but that was before Gnome 3 and the app UI. My desktop is not a smartphone, and I dread the day my company switches the Windows workstations over to Windows 8.

      Delete
    2. I still have reasons to keep my Windows, but I'm looking for a good OS based in Linux. I think I'll try this Fedora.

      Thanks for the info ;)

      Delete
    3. I like Fedora (with KDE) myself, but a lot of other people would make other recommendations for which I'm not in a position to offer an opinion. For example, I've heard that a lot of people prefer the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. And their are advocates for desktops other than Gnome and KDE.

      Delete
  6. I was hoping for the new chapter before you leave. Oh well, gonna have to wait. Have a safe business trip ;-)

    ReplyDelete